The society provides several types of scholarships and awards that support doctoral students to advance serious philosophical discussion about education.
- Doctoral Scholarship: One doctoral scholarship will be offered to a student working at a high level in educational philosophy and theory each year at the value of AUD10,000.
- Research grants: Funding may be provided for such activities as editing, literature reviews, assistance with travel, attending writing retreats, and other activities that the sub-committee determines to be relevant.
- High-quality doctoral presentations awards: Awards may be given to high-quality presentations given by doctoral students at PESA conferences.
For more information on doctoral research grants and presentation awards see the policy document here.
PESA Seeding Grants
We want to bring philosophy of education back to our campuses. While international travel is restricted, we still (possibly) have the ability for universities to host local events. The PESA Executive would like to provide seeding grants (of up to $5,000AUD) for on-campus events to be held under the PESA banner. This will provide an opportunity to be face to face with other scholars. Applications can be made at anytime. We also encourage you to use these grants to hold hybrid on-campus events that correspond with the Zoom Conference. This will allow local communities of scholars to meet face-to-face, while also connecting online with the wider PESA membership.
For more information, please see our PESA Seeding Grant Policy.
The aims of PESA
(1) The objects of the Society are-
(a) to promote the advancement of, and research and teaching in, the Philosophy of Education;
(b) to organise meetings and conferences on topics of interest to Philosophy of Education;
(c) to provide a clearinghouse of relevant published information, including a register of members, their qualifications, publications and appointments; and
(d) to publish appropriate material related to Philosophy of Education in the Society's journal Educational Philosophy and Theory and in other appropriate forms of publication.
Accordingly, in the spirit of (1) (a)-(d), the PESA Executive welcomes requests from members for financial support to host conferences, seminars, symposia, and other events consistent with the objects of the Society. The PESA Execeutive also applications from members for grants to support research projects in philosophy of education. PESA also offers an annual Book award to encourage publication of works in the philosophy of education.
Please see the following links for guidelines and information on how to apply for our available awards and grants.
- Book Awards
- Conference Grants
- Research Grants (Application form)
- Support for hosting conferences, symposia and seminars
There are now two rounds of funding for event support and research grants:
Applications for the first round of funding close each year on the 1 May.
Applications for the second round close each year on the 1 October.
Funding application for amounts of AUD 1000.00 or less are accepted throughout the year.